Monday 13 August 2007

9jers & Owanbe!

I got the treatment the doctor recommended this weekend…………..beauty sleep. It was so nice; I can’t stop talking about it. I have been looking forward to this therapy for a couple of weeks now. It is not really easy living in Mama Charlie’s territory. Working all through the week leaves you with no other option than to cherish your ‘Me Time’ whenever you are fortunate to have one. It’s been one function after the other at the weekends which has left me exhausted over time. For once in a long time, I was looking forward to sitting at my desk at work on a Monday morning.

Meanwhile, I must give it to the 9jer community in this town…you cannot really take out ‘owanbe’ from 9jers, can you? The other weekend, I was at a friend’s wedding and the setting gave me a nostalgic sensation like I was back home. Really classy wedding I must say. While trying to make my way out of the party, I got caught in yet another web of ‘Aso ebi’ for another wedding coming up next weekend. I guess I will have to wrap the attire round me in some way because it has become practically impossible to get a good tailor to give me the much needed couture signature.

There are many ‘obiomas’ who claim to be tailors however, I will rather pass on wearing ‘Aso ebi’ than being a victim of fashion disaster! If you can make Nigerian party outfits in Mama Charlie’s territory, you are King or Queen o! The minimum charge for this service is £40 (Tax-free by the way). Little wonder, the invasion of the industry by ‘Obiomas’. 9jers!!!!!!!!!!



Owanbe: A Nigerian society party or function

Aso Ebi: is a practice of like - dressing predominant among the Yoruba from Nigeria. The similarity in dressing represents in material form the social bonds connecting those taking part; these can be blood family relations, connections through marriage, or simply friendship

Obiomas: Amateur tailors or tailors with little or no tailoring skills

3 comments:

naijabelle said...

Good tailors are hard to find but if you are really serious, i can hook a sister up with a tailor. Give me a shout via e-mail

Anonymous said...

lmao i love the little after explanations.. hilarious! i'll definitely be back here... um about the aso ebis.. i never wear naija materia sha.. i remember the last time i wore one.. i was 8 and my little wrapper/wrap skirt fell off in public... traumatized oh... havent worn any naija print in public ever since.. there are some gorgeous designs.. i might attempt to make something when i go to naija sha... great blog

Kaffy said...

Hey fellow blogger,

Its nice to see your opinion on najia owambes. I get a bit overwhelmed by them too even though i sort of had a few growing up. The Aso ebi thing is just another conspiracy to ensure that those who have some sort of disposable income get bankrupt and end up back on the streets, its just as bad as paying taxes in UK. I have to give it up for those who consistently make their contributions to this grand conspiracy.

Fashionable thots, vivalastylishliving.blogspot.com